A woman’s typical daily grooming includes nail care and applying nail polish. Some women may even feel naked and uncomfortable without a nail polish. That’s why most women spent several hours a week of their time on manicure and pedicure sessions. Some may even go to nail salons to make their nails more elegant or fashionable with the trendy nail art.
One problem that most women encounter with nail polish is its durability. Some nail products can be flawlessly applied but most of them are easily chipped off in just a short period of time. Some become frustrated with the polish because it can fade even a few hours after applying. That’s why many women prefer options like the Svensson gel nails which can last for more than one or two weeks after applying. However, even if you use the most innovative nail polish on the market, your nails can still chip off if you don’t know how to take care of them.
Here are some tips to make your nail polish last longer:
• Cleaning your nails is important before putting on nail polish. You need to wash your hands thoroughly and soak them in warm soapy water. You can also use lemon juice to help brighten your fingernails and remove any stains that have been stuck to your nails. Avoid using oily substances like lotions or moisturizers before polishing because oils can prevent the nail polish from staying on your finger nails.
• It’s always important to apply a base coat first because it serves as protection and a buffer between your nails and the polish. The base coat also serves as a primer for your polish.
• Brush your polish into several thin layers instead of applying a thick coat. Wait for each layer to dry first before applying the next coat. This can become tedious but it will make your polish more durable and less prone to chipping.
• Always protect the coating of your fingernails by applying a top coat. One tip that I learned from a friend is to soak your fingernails in cold water for ten minutes after applying the top coat. This will make your polish harder and last longer.
• When you’re done with the manicure, don’t forget to moisturize your hands regularly. A hand lotion is an important daily routine to help keep your fingernails moisturized. Some women prefer to use natural oils like olive oils or baby oil to achieve smooth looking fingernails.
• Maintaining your nail care tools and products is also important. Make sure you store your nail polish in a cool dry place, away from sunlight, to keep it at the right consistency. Keep your tools clean and properly sanitized. A common mistake that many women make is to shake the nail polish before using it. But shaking the bottles will create air bubbles which will affect the coating quality of your nail polish.
Never use your nails for opening containers or forcing anything with your fingernails. This will easily chip off your nail polish and may even damage your fingernails. Follow these simple tips and you’ll be sure to have good looking nails and long lasting nail polish.
Special thanks to our guest post contributor, Davina Astley