Hate it when that summer tan fades? Most of us do. Some of us don’t tan very easily to start with. They say that a tan actually makes you feel better. Not sure if that’s true of not but it does tend to make us look a bit healthier. Well, here’s a couple of great tips to help you keep that sun kissed glow going year round. Great for you ladies that are naturally pasty white and have always wished you could tan.
There are also some really good products that you can use to “self-tan”. Now, some say that self-tanners make them look orange. We have all seen the dirty elbows and the color that looks so unnatural. That is true about some but we found a really good one that looks very natural, no matter how white you are. Try Banana Boat Summer Color Self-Tanning Lotion Light to Medium . First of all, start with the Light to Medium color or you may look too dark, especially in the wintertime. It takes a few applications to build up to some real color so don’t worry about being too dark the first time you apply it. Typically in the winter we aren’t wearing too many dresses that show our bare legs so you can get away with just using it on your face, chest and neck. However, if you know that you are going to that Christmas party and wearing that little black sexy dress make sure to apply all over several times before the party.
Don’t want to try that? Then here’s a DIY one. The best part? You probably have all of these ingredients in your pantry anyways. That makes this pretty much free.
Cocoa powder Tanner
- Mix together 1 cup of body lotion (preferably white) and 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Put in refrigerator for 20 minutes to allow the cocoa powder to set in to the lotion.
- Apply as you would traditional lotion, being careful to layer evenly. Allow lotion to dry at least 1 hour before getting dressed or leaving the house.
- Store excess in a cool place for up to two weeks.
Check out these before and after pics…Wow, what a difference!
When applying either of these above, use a glove made for applying self-tanners. Use one like St. Tropez Applicator Mitt. That way you don’t get it all over your hands and nails. If you do just use your hands don’t let it dry. Remember, you can’t just wash it off.
Try these tricks to get off any extra you didn’t see:
- If it’s on your skin, try using something acidic like lemon juice. You can also take some baking soda and water, make a paste, let it dry and then wash it off. Sometimes that will do the trick.
- If it’s around your nails, try just soaking your nails in the lemon juice for a few moments.
- The best thing to do is use a wash your hands immediately after application.
REMEMBER, keep it natural. It’s cold outside so no one has a true deep dark tan in the winter. Apply just enough to have that nice glow that makes all of us feel beautiful.